The fourth Quarterly Review Meeting of the year 2021-2022 RI District 3271 was held on Saturday, 18th September 2021 at 1200 hours at Movenpick Hotel, Karachi.
Trustee/National Chair Aziz Memon
Meeting attended by:
IPDG Dr. Farhan Essa
DGE Tahzeeb Kazmi
DGN Hanif Khan
PP Masood Ahmed Bhalli
PDG Irfan Qureshi
PP Muhammad Ovais
PP Muneeb Khan
PP Pardeep Kumar
Rtn. Raza Tabish
PDRR Iqra Sajjad
DRR Dilawar Abro
Asher Ali - Project Manager
Jazmine Vania – Communications
DG Dr. Aftab Imam – had to leave for Islamabad on an urgent assignment
PDG Saleem Rao – official work
PP Saleem Raza – could not attend
Minutes of the Meeting:
1) Zonal Coordinator Sindh PP Masood Bhalli opened the meeting with Tilawat from the Holy Quran. He welcomed the participants and discussed/approved the last review meeting minutes.
2) Asher informed the participants that a case response has been done at Killa Abdullah in August 2021 and in UC Gulistan KA. He said the situation may become worse if the refugees are not vaccinated before if they cross the border.
We also have PTPs at Chaman, Dalbadin, Khurrum and Torkham borders. The polio teams are fully prepared to vaccinate each child entering the country.
3) PP Masood Bhalli mentioned that an official letter should go to UNICEF to take action regarding the recruitment of Lady Health Workers as CBV’s in Killa Abdullah. Asher Ali said that this will be discussed with UNICEF and WHO when they meet with them in Islamabad soon. Asher also pointed out that the PTP shelter which was damaged at Chaman Friendship Gate has been replaced and jointly inaugurated by Dr. Hamid Jaffery (Director EMRO WHO) and TRF Trustee/National Chair. He added that the old PTP shelter which was damaged at the Chaman border has been partially repaired for the polio workers to store their belongings; it was repaired locally under the leadership of DHO Killa Abdullah. He also mentioned that Yaro PTP needs repair. A quotation for repair work will begin once we get an estimate. It was suggested the Zonal Coordinator Balochistan PP Saleem Raza will be requested to send a quote for approval and thereafter an invoice for repair and paint.
4) PP Masood Bhalli said that Northern Sindh continues to be a high-risk area and we need to focus on Kambar, Larkana, and Jacobabad that need extra attention. He also said that Ulema Committee should be active especially in the high-risk areas of Pakistan
5) PP Muhammad Ovais said ''we would also need a polio progress report for the participants to know how much progress has been done during the quarter.'' He emphasized that we should assess needs at various locations to provide support.
Asher Ali said he would send the weekly polio reports and will continue to forward them in the future for ready reference.
6) IPDG Dr. Farhan Essa said that awareness on Covid 19 has been done and people are now aware of the Covid vaccine and treatment. Vaccines are being given at Expo Center, Government hospitals, Essa Labs and certain community centers free of cost. He also said mobile units are also available for Covid vaccines. Boosters are also available for people who are traveling abroad across the country and these boosters are free for health workers. He also proposed a Covid booth at the Karachi International airport utilizing the same kiosks provided by Rotary. Asher Ali said, for this initiative, we must take permission from the Airport Manager.
7) A new US Consulate has joined recently and wants to address Rotarians on polio and Covid vaccines. PP Navid Khan is organizing a zoom meeting and the participants will be informed.
8) Asher Ali said that monitoring of 26 solar water filtration plants has been completed. He said, all of the plants are functioning properly and are in good condition
9) Inauguration of the Solar Water Filtration Plant under Global Grant 2117155 will be held on 2nd October 2021 at Landhi no 2, Karachi. The time will be decided shortly
10) Asher Ali provided information on the 48 PTP shelters PNPPC has sponsored in the last ten years across Pakistan. An assessment exercise has been going on in all the provinces. NEOC has taken the lead to assess PTPs.
11) Ulema Workshops by All Pakistan Memon Federation is planned for October 2021. The dates will be decided soon and shared accordingly by PP Muhammad Ovais, Ulema Coordinator
12) TRF Trustee Aziz Memon also mentioned his recent visit to Nankana Sahib for a successful Ulema Workshop which was held on Saturday, 11th September.
13) PDG Irfan Qureshi gave details of the planning of the WPD which is going to be held on the morning of Sunday, 24th of October. He gave the following details:
(a) All Social Media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Website of Rotary, Cycologists and Participating Groups will run this event)
(b) Campaign Motive: Raise Awareness for Ending Polio
(c) Campaign Partners: Rotary Clubs, Rotaract Clubs, Cycologists, Born to Run Pakistan, EOC Sindh.
(d) A combined event to participate in a Bike and Run/Walk rally. Each Participant who will take part in the event will be awarded a polio medal as an accomplishment.
14) Two female motorcyclists accompanied IPDG Farhan Essa to the meeting. He said he will arrange a group of 100 female motorcyclists for the event.
Points made by the National Chair:
The National Chair said we need to schedule a Zoom Meeting with Rotaractors of RID 3271 to energize all the Rotaract clubs. DRR Dilawar Abro and Jazmine Vania to coordinate a mutual date for a zoom meeting.
He thanked the participants for their commitment to leave no stone unturned for the eradication of polio in Pakistan.
Minutes by Jazmine Vania