First Quarterly Virtual Review Meeting for RI District 3272 was held on Monday, 20th July 2020.
National Chair PNPPC Aziz Memon
DG Tazeem Ahmad
DGE Saifullah Ejaz
DGN Adnan S. Rohaila
IPDG Mubarik Ali Shahid
PDG Muhammad Mushtaq
PDG Saeed Shamsi
CDG Rauf Rohaila
AG Nosherwan Khalil Khan
PDG Pervez Ahsan
PDG Sajid Bhatti
PDG Iftikhar Ahmed – EPN Coordinator
Asher Ali – Project Manager
Jazmine Vania – Communications Officer
Dr. Fathelrahman Ali – WHO, Punjab
Attiya Qazi- UNICEF, Punjab
Minutes of the Meeting:
Points made by the National Chair initiating the session:
1) National Chair Aziz Memon welcomed all participants.
2) The last review meeting minutes were discussed and approved.
3) PDG Saeed Shamsi initiated the session with Tilawat (verse from the Holy Quran)
4) Trustee/National Chair expressed his appreciation to the Immediate Past District Governor (IPDG) Mubarik Ali Shahid for his support throughout his tenure and welcomed DG Tazeem Ahmad.
5) Trustee/National Chair Aziz Memon initiated the meeting by informing that a small scale SNID for vaccine-derived cases has begun after a gap of 4 months today. Novel mPOV2 vaccine will be available in September to eradicate all vaccine-derived cases.
6) NPPC conducted an Ulema workshop for the Super High-Risk District West of Karachi on Saturday, 18th July, 2020 following the SOPs. Haji Hanif Tayyab Chair Polio Ulema Committee and Trustee/National Chair Aziz Memon and Coordinator Ulema Committee PP Muhammad Ovais facilitated the Ulema Workshop which was attended by 23 Khateeb/Ulema of District West Karachi.
7) NPPC Chair appreciated Rotarians of RID 3272 for their hard work on COVID-19. He said a Disaster Global Grant of $25000 was spent with the purpose to protect front line workers by providing PPE kits from Rahimyar Khan to Lahore and Peshawar covering both provinces.
8) Polio activities have resumed today, July 20th in Polio High-Risk Areas to cover Vaccine Derived Cases. The campaign will administer mOPV2 cases. In July and August, the campaigns will be on a smaller scale and medium scale in September. The large scale campaigns will commence from October with NIDs and these will continue in November 2020 and we are have commenced case response for Wild Polio cases.
9) In Karachi 33 CBVs district will be covered under the first round whereas SNIDs will be conducted in South Waziristan, Attock and Faisalabad.
10) All precautionary measures for CBVs have been taken by providing them PPE kits and equipment for the safety of the front line workers.
11) tOPV will be brought back on the recommendations of TAG only for Pakistan to deal with the Type 2 cases and Wild Polio cases simultaneously.
12) We should now resume holding health camps following SOPs. These health camps must be held after polio campaigns for the specific month have been completed. All health camps must strictly follow SOPs.
13) As per request from NEOC 6,000 vaccine carriers will be provided to them. NEOC will then supply to provincial EOCs according to the demand.
14) Monitoring and evaluation of Resource Centers in RID 3272 is in process by Asher Ali. He will visit all Resource Centers & Solar Water Filtration Plants in RID 3272.
Dr. Fathelrahman Ali – Team Lead- Punjab, WHO
Dr. Rahman said the onset of a WPV1 case from Lahore was reported last week. A case response will be done shortly. He mentioned that the campaigns have begun today on a small scale in Attock and Faisalabad in Punjab. He gave details of polio cases in the province and appreciated the contribution of Rotarians in supply of PPE material.
Attiya Qazi- UNICEF, team Lead- Punjab
She said our campaigns started today in Attock and Faisalabad and case response in 6 Union Councils of Lahore. Since monitoring is a big challenge during the COVID-19 pandemic we have managed to send our monitors on the field following SOPs. Ms Qazi said, local people are monitoring the campaign as well.
She continued to say, ‘the community may be reluctant, so we are giving 5 masks to each household along with 2 soap bars and a brief on the importance of hand washing. This will enable our health workers to get access in a house to house campaign. So far we have received good feedback from the field workers. She thanked Rotary for their support’.
Other points of discussion by Rotarians
PDG Saeed Shamsi said that in a recent case from Lahore, a six-month-old boy received 3 doses of Routine Immunization.
He said Rotarians must inform EOC while distributing COVID materials to different hospitals.
DG Tazeem Ahmad mentioned that we need masks. The National Chair said that UNICEF and WHO already have a budget and they will provide masks and other material to the health workers.
CDG Rauf Rohaila said that the district committee should sit together and chalk out a plan for the masks distribution. He emphasized to take the Emergency Operation Center (EOC) KP and Emergency Response Unit (ERU) in the loop in the distribution of PPE kits. He said we have distributed PPE kits to six hospitals of Peshawar and received requests from Nowshera, Charsadda and Bannu. If possible we will provide PPE equipment to these districts as well.
The National Chair encouraged all Rotarians of RID 3272 to apply for global grants under the leadership of DG Tazeem Ahmad. He will be available for any help needed.
PDG Haji Iftikhar said that he will take the lead in collecting funds at the local club level to enable us to provide masks and other equipment.
Rtn Khurshid Khan mentioned that they have provided COVID-19 equipment under the leadership of IPDG Mubarik Ali Shahid to Lady Reading Hospital. He said we must encourage Rotarians.
IPDG Mubarak Ali said that we have to hand over two cheques amounting Rs. 100,000 each received from foreign Rotarians to the relatives of slain polio workers of Sawabi. Rtn. Khurshid khan was requested to arrange a small event either in Peshawar or Islamabad to hand over these cheques in the presence of Chief Minister KP or other ministers.
DGE Saifullah Ejaz said that we must focus on Global Grants because it is for betterment of the communities and we will purchase PPE material from these grants for health workers.
DGN Adnan Rohaila said he was involved in distributing PPE kits in PIMs Hospital and Poly Clinic Hospital. He has requested one of the hospitals to put up an End Polio Now awareness hoarding next to the emergency unit.
PDG Pervez Ahsan said he has distributed 1500 PPE kits with the Rotary logo to Islamabad police. He advised to create a polio fund and all Rotarians and non-Rotarians must contribute to the fund for local use.
PDG Sajid Bhatti and Rtn. Khurshid seconded PDG Ahsan’s suggestion to collect funds from local Rotarians.
In the end, on the request of DG Tazeem Ahmad all thirteen Rotarians agreed to donate US$1,000 each to Rotary Foundation PolioPlus Fund.
Four Rotarians have already donated their share of US $1000 each at the time of writing this report.
Rtn. Khurshid announced his donation of US $ 1000 and Rs 1.0 M for COVID material to the polio plus fund
NPPC Chair thanked all participants for their time and active participation in the meeting.
Minutes by: Asher Ali & Jazmine Vania