Dear Rotary Leaders
1. Polio cases have indicated an alarming rise from FATA & KPK region in the last 2 months. Total number of confirmed polio cases (as on 25th of August, 2010) = 43. Details are:
- 25 type-1 cases; one case each from Lakki Marwat and Charsada and two cases from Peshawar and 3 from Hangu district in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa; two cases each from Bajour and Kurram, six cases from Khyber, five cases from North Waziristan agency and one case from Mohmand agency in FATA, 1 case from Killa Abdullah district in Balochistan and 1 case from DG Khan in Punjab).
- 18 type-3 cases; one case from South Waziristan and two from Bajour and three from Khyber agencies in FATA; one from each of Swat and Swabi and two from Peshawar in Khyber-Pakhtoonkhwa; one from Karachi (Gulshan-e-Iqbal town) in Sindh; and three from Quetta, two from Chaghai and one case from Killa Abdullah district in Balochistan and one case from Rawalpindi in Punjab.The last case reported on 24 August 2010 is the 3rd of its kind from Hangu district in KPK.
2. Cross Border Shelter – After the success of the Torkam/Peshawar shelters in 2008, which helped to vaccinate 2000 children on a daily bases, Rotary International funded another 2 Cross Border Shelters for polio immunization at the Chaman border in Balochistan, Pakistan and the other at Spin Boldak in Kandahar, Afghanistan. These were installed on the 26th of August’ 2010.
3. Up-gradation of RRL/WHO Lab: Rotary International sponsored two WHO/Regional Research Laboratory technicians for training and research to the Centre of Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta, USA. Both technicians left on
29th July’2010 and are currently undergoing training at the CDC.
4. Vaccine Carriers: Delivery of vaccine carriers are in progress, and are supplied in accordance to a list supplied by the National Program Manager, EPI, Ministry of Health, Government of Pakistan. .
a) Polio True Story – short documentary will be aired for 5 days, 3 spots per day on local channels (Khyber, PTV Bolan, Kook, Punjab & Sindh) and 2 spots per day on National channel (ARY Digital) starting from Sept 24/25/26/27/28.
b) Mobile backlit vans will be covering all 4 districts of Karachi with printed messages ’get all children under 5 vaccinated.’ & ‘Two drops of polio, every child, every time.’
c) Warid, Mobilink & Telenor will send text messages to all their customers informing families to allow Polio teams to administer 2 polio drops to their children with a toll free number if polio teams have not visited them.
d) Billboards sponsored by Coca-Cola Corporation in Karachi will be put up at strategic locations to remind people to get their children vaccinated.
The Pakistan Polio Plus Committee urges all Rotary Clubs to combine efforts with other clubs and organize polio camps, seminars, walk for a cause, awareness campaigns during the NIDs. Please send your request for social mobilization items a week in advance, as couriers now take 5 to 7 days for delivery in light of the current flood situation.
Let us work together to eradicate polio from Pakistan.
Pakistan Polio Plus Committee.